Use FDM 3D printer to make anime models

Hermione

I find it an interesting and challenging project to use an FDM printer to make anime models, and last week I made Hayao Miyazaki's Totoro model with a printing mechanism, which I particularly enjoyed. I want to share this project with you. Here are my steps to make it.

First, preparation is crucial. Before you get started, you need an FDM 3D printer, such as the Don Gixing rose go or Flash Cast FDM 3D printer, which has a good track record in terms of accuracy and stability. In addition, you will need the appropriate 3D modeling software, such as Autodesk Maya or Blender, to design or modify your anime model. Once you have these tools ready, you can start making them.

The first step is to design or get the model file. If you have a foundation in 3D modeling, you can design your own model. Otherwise, ready-made model files can be downloaded from the Internet. Make sure the model file meets your printer requirements to avoid possible problems later on.

Next is the model slicing process. Import the model file into slicing software, such as Cura or Simplify3D, for slicing. This step is to convert the 3D model into instructions that the printer can understand, and the slicing software generates a series of layered two-dimensional slicing diagrams. In the slicing process, it is necessary to set the printing parameters, such as height, filling density, printing speed, etc., which will directly affect the quality of the final model.

After finishing the slicing process, you can start printing. Before sending the model to the printer, make sure that the printer is already in good condition, with sufficient supplies and platform level. After printing is started, the printer stacks the material layer by layer according to the instructions generated by the slicing software, and finally forms a complete model. During the printing process, it is recommended to check the working status of the printer from time to time to prevent accidents.

After printing is complete, the model needs to be post-processed. The first is to remove the supporting material. During the printing process, in order to support some of the hanging parts of the model, the printer generates some additional support structures, which need to be carefully removed after the printing is complete. Then the surface of the model is polished. Use sandpaper from coarse to fine to eliminate print marks and make the surface of the model smoother.

The final step is coloring. Coloring is a very important part of model making, it can make your model more vivid and realistic. You can choose to use spray paint or hand paint. During the coloring process, be sure to take protective measures, such as wearing a gas mask and using a negative pressure system to discharge dust. In addition, the model can also be repaired in detail with soil to make the model more perfect.

Through the above steps, you can use FDM printing mechanism to make beautiful animation models. Although the process is complicated, the sense of achievement when you see the model you have made by yourself is unparalleled. We hope that every model enthusiast can enjoy the process of making it and create more amazing works.

I hope these steps were helpful, but if you need to know more, you can refer to more related materials.