The application of FDM printer in dentistry

Hermione

The other day I took my daughter to have her teeth orthodontic, and I found that with the continuous progress of technology, 3D printing technology is more and more widely used in the medical field, especially in the dental field. So I conducted an in-depth study in this area.
FDM (Fused Deposition Molding) 3D printing technology is changing the traditional dental treatment and manufacturing process with its efficient, precise and personalized characteristics. One of the applications of FDM 3D printing technology in dentistry is to make crowns and Bridges. The traditional process of making the crown and bridge is complicated, which requires multiple molds and adjustments, which takes a long time. With FDM 3D printing, doctors can first digitally scan a patient's mouth and then use that data to quickly generate an accurate digital model. The 3D printer then stacks the material layer by layer to create a crown and bridge that perfectly matches the patient's mouth. This method not only improves the production accuracy, but also greatly reduces the treatment time.
Another application is to create personalized dentures. The production of traditional dentures usually requires hand carving and multiple tries, which is a complicated and inefficient process. Using FDM 3D printing technology, doctors can design and print dentures that fully meet the requirements of patients according to their oral structure and needs. This personalized manufacturing not only improves the comfort of dentures, but also reduces the number of visits and enhances the overall patient experience.
Applications of FDM 3D printer technology in dentistry also include the production of surgical guides and orthodontics. The surgical guide can help doctors accurately control the position and orientation of the implant during the implantation surgery, reduce the surgical risk and shorten the treatment time. Orthodontics can be customized according to each patient's tooth condition to achieve accurate correction.
With the continuous development of materials science and 3D printing technology, the application of FDM 3D printing in dentistry will be more extensive. From personalized dental restorations to complex surgical guides, 3D printing technology is driving dental medicine to a more efficient, accurate and personalized direction. In the future, we can expect more innovative applications to bring better oral health and treatment experiences to patients.